A CREDIT NOTE is a way of refunding an invoice that has already been issued or paid. It can be for part of (or the whole amount of) an invoice. You need to use a credit note because you cannot delete an invoice once it has been issued.
There are a number of reasons why you may need to issue a credit note. Here are some of the most common examples:
- – You issue an invoice by mistake.
- – You issue an invoice for the incorrect amount (you overcharge someone).
- – A customer is unhappy with the service you provided and wants a refund.
When this happens you can’t simply delete or amend an invoice, you need to issue a credit note. This effectively cancels out the money you no longer want to charge. Click on the green button below to download your free template!
Free Credit Note Template
REMEMBER! As this is a sort of refund for an invoice, all the amounts you enter on the credit note should be negative (if you don’t then the formulas on the template won’t work either!). If you’re refunding “Product A”, worth £10, then your credit note should be for -£10. If applicable, also include VAT.
How to Issue a Credit Note in Zervant
- – Go to the invoices tab.
- – On the left, choose the invoice you want to create a credit note for.
- – On the right, click “More”.
- – From the menu choose “Credit Note”.
- – Job done!
If you have any questions or feedback please consult our Help Centre.
Why not use Zervant for credit notes and invoicing?
Zervant’s online invoicing software is specifically designed for freelancers and microbusinesses. What’s more, it’s completely free.